Companies store a lot of information from customers and employees making them a prime target for data breaches. This doesn’t mean individuals aren’t targeted as well, but some of the best hackers aren’t going after one person, they’re going after millions. Think of it this way—why have one slice when you can have the whole pie. This is the thought process of a lot of cyber hackers.
Some of the largest data breaches that have occurred:
Not only are these Cyberattacks harmful to the people whose personal information is stolen, but it can also have a huge financial hit on the company attacked. Radware reported that the cost of a cyberattack on a company increased 52% to $1.1 million in the past year. In addition, companies saw a 37% reputation loss after an attack.
As a QSR you don’t want to lose money and you certainly don’t want to lose customer loyalty due to a data breach. That’s why maintaining safe and secure operations is key to keeping the customers happy and coming back to your business.
Six ways to keep your QSR #CyberSmart:
1. Invest in a top-notch technology network that is constantly working on innovations to stay ahead of the curve. Old, outdated technology is just a disaster waiting to happen in the cyberworld.
2. Don’t share sensitive company or personal information online with an unsolicited source.
3. Perform regular updates on your systems. Updates are what patch up the errors in technology systems. You should always maintain updates on your personal and professional devices.
4. Always use strong passwords and two-factor authentication where applicable, to provide extra security.
5. Avoid unknown links and emails. When in doubt it is always best to avoid clicking on something that you are unsure of. If you get an unexpected email from someone you don’t know, do not click any links or attachments.
6. Educate and Train. Make sure not only you are informed on proper cybersecurity practices, but your employees as well know what to look for and what to avoid.
For more information on cybersecurity visit: https://staysafeonline.org/ncsam/about-ncsam/